Thanks to Vijay Vineet Ji for this news reporting about Barhikala Musahar Basti of Badagaon block inVaranasi district. PVCHR/Jan Mitra Nyas adopted this Musahar Basti in 2012 with the support from Global Fund for Children after the mapping of the malnourished children there. In the Barahikalan Musahar Basti 32 families are residing. They mostly work as a seasonal labourer in brick kiln factory and making plates with leaves.
The project provided nutritional diet to 47 children between age group 0 – 5 years and advocated for opening ICDS. On the intervention it was directed to open ICDS center in this basti but was not timely implemented. The project constructed the center which was inaugurated by Mr. Vijay Vineet, Sub -- Editor, Jan Sandesh on 21st October, 2013. On that occasion 27 children received bag along with other stationary such as pencil, book, crayon, book and copies. Now the ICDS is being in the new center built by the Government.
After implementing of the initiative the community understood the importance of the education. After intervention the doctors of the Primary Health Center's organized health camp for the routine check -up of for seasonal diseases. Ms. Parul Sharma an NRI provided the playground items in this center for the mental and physical development of the children.
1. 26 people in Barhikala got work under the MNREGA scheme (Right to Work) for 32 days.
2. After intervention the doctors of the Primary Health Center organized health camp in the village for seasonal diseases in Barhikala.
3. Now Auxiliary Nursing Mother (ANM) and health worker ASHA are doing regular visit in the village for the immunization, providing irons pills to pregnant mothers.
4. The Musahars of Barhikala are receiving rations from PDS shops.
5. The ghetto had good connecting RCC road and solar light.