Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Urgent Appeal for Action – Uttar Pradesh: Brutal physical assault, cruel and inhuman treatment of a TV journalist and human rights defender Amit Sharma during the reporting of derailment of a goods train in Shamli district of Uttar Pradesh


Dear Friends,
Greetings from PVCHR.
The representative from PVCHR went to Shamli to collect all evidences related to torture with Mr. Amit Sharma, Journalist and collected all the facts and documents related to his ill-treatment in the custody of the police while reporting the derailment of the goods train in Shamli district of Uttar Pradesh. 
Amit Sharma narrates ,  “On 11th June, 2019 night around 9 pm in the night I got information about the derailment of the good train in the Dheemapura railways gate.  Immediately I rushed to the place of incidence. After taking bite and I was doing coverage of the broken railway track meanwhile SHO and other policemen who were responsible for the derail good train were also there. When I tried to the show the presence of the GRP police then he became angry on me and hit hand on my mobile camera and also slapped me. When I asked the police officials about his behaviour He responded my question with brutally beating me.  Meanwhile GRP SHO and policemen starting to took me in the police station. I tried to run away from the police custody and I was arrested by the police and GRP police put pistol in my back and on the gun of the pistol he abducted me to the police station. While taking to the police station he beat and abused me. I felt that police officials were drunk during that time. While beating police took out my purse, mobile, money and other things. I was kept in custody. In the custody GRP SHO and police forcefully took out my clothes and put pressure on my throat.  GRP SHO forcefully tried to open my mouth to feed me his urine. He urinates in my mouth. When they were forcefully trying to open my mouth I got cut in my lip. After that they provide me water to drink and I was allowed to wear the clothes.  After sometime when my media friends came and demanded for my release then GRP SHO demanded for 1 lakhs Rupees for my release. Who night I was forcefully kept in the custody. On 12th June, 2019 around 3: 50 pm I was medically examined by the doctor and doctor referred me to the hospital. But GRP police took me to the police station after medical treatment. Around 7 pm police did my challan under section 34 and I was released on the bail.” 
FIR was lodged in GRP Shamli on 12th June, 2019 at 17: 49 in crime no. 0005 under section
 323, 504, 506, 364, 392 and 342 IPC. 
 
On 12th June, 2019 PVCHR registered complaint to Hon’ ble National Human Rights Commission New Delhi on the basis of the news reporting in Media Vigil and Outlook and the case is under consideration of the commission with case diary no 6728/IN/2019. https://petition-nhrc.blogspot.com/2019/06/petition-to-nhrc-in-case-of-assault-of.html
According to the press release of the Hon;ble Commission on 14th June, 2019 NHRC, India has taken suo-moto of  cognisance of media reports, the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) on Friday issued a notice to the Uttar Pradesh's Directorate General of Police (DGP), seeking a report within four weeks on the assault of a TV journalist in Shamli on Tuesday. The human rights body sought a detailed report from the DGP, including action taken against the guilty public servants and the status of the FIR registered against them.  http://nhrc.nic.in/media/press-release/nhrc-notice-dgp-uttar-pradesh-over-reported-brutal-assault-tv-journalist-grp 

On 17th June, 2019 DGP Uttar Pradesh held meeting in the Bagpat  and said We are determined to provide justice to Shamli journalist assaulted by SHO. https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/meerut/up-dgp-we-are-determined-to-provide-justice-to-shamli-journalist-assaulted-by-sho/articleshow/69831952.cms 

Therefore we appeal to write letter to Prime Minister of India (pmosb@pmo.nic.in), National Human Rights Commission (cr.nhrc@nic.inchairnhrc@nic.in), Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh (cmup@up.nic.in) and  Director General of Police (dgp@up.nic.in) for the investigation by the independent agency. 
Thanking You 
Sincerely Yours, 
#PVCHR urgent appeal desk
 

No comments:

Featured Post

Tireless Service to Humanity

Dear Mr. Lenin Raghuvanshi, Congratulations, you have been featured on Deed Indeed's social platform. ...